Friday 12 August 2011

Darkman

“I am everyone – and no one. Everywhere – nowhere. Call me Darkman.”

I had a life before, I had a face, I was someone, I was loved by someone. But then on a cursed night it all ended. I lost everything I had. I lost my love, I my work and I lost my life. 

I had been working on developing a new type of synthetic skin to aid the burn victims...but who knew that one day I would have to use it for myself.

They burnt down my laboratory. They burnt me down with it. I was left for dead. But here I am with a new life. Doctors said I was a wonder now. My body was completely burned and the nerves of my spinothalamic tract had been cut down that night. This made me devoid of any sensory input. Now I was no longer a subject to pain. I received enhanced strength but also some mental instability due to this.

I still remember the night when I ran away from that hospital. I longed to see my love. I wanted to see her. I wanted to meet her. I wanted to hold her in my arms. I saw her across the road. I tried to call her, meet her. She didn’t recognize me, she got scared. She got scared of me. I had turned into a monster.

 
I started to work back again. I tried to make the artificial skin again. I was successful in reconstructing my face, my skin. I got my life back but here my ill fate crossed again. I could get back everything but only for ninety nine minutes. After that the face would disintegrate. 

I started to meet my love again with an artificial face of mine, things got back normal but one day the truth was out. She said she loved me the same even after knowing what had happened but I could not take her back as I was no more the Peyton Westlake she loved, I am the dreaded Darkman now.

I killed my enemies, the ones who gave me this kind of life. I could easily infiltrate their gangs by making their faces. I would mask their faces to confuse them, destroy them and kill them.

Durant returned again, when I thought he was dead but that was not going to kill me. I am the Darkman. I killed him back again.

I killed the bad guys. I robbed them in order to meet the expenses for my research. In this way I had found a foe in Peter Rooker, a mafia don. And I killed him too.

At last I found I could live again. I had successfully made the synthetic skin to last permanently. I had broken the ninety minutes barrier.

But my happiness was short lived when the face of Rooker’s girl was burnt in the fight. The only sample of synthetic skin I had, I used it to reconstruct her face. For me now living with those burns was a life so I didn’t want anyone to live like that, especially not this little girl.

This is my life, the way I live, the way I was burnt and the way I was killed and the way I have killed.


“They destroyed everything I had,
Everything I was,
Now, crime has a new enemy,
And justice has a new face...“



DARKMAN is 1990 superhero action film. The film was directed by Sam Raimi. It tells the story of Dr. Peyton Westlake who takes up the identity of Darkman.  Liam Neeson starred as Dr. Peyton Westlake / Darkman. Two direct to video sequels DARKMAN II : THE RETURN OF DURANT and DARKMAN III : DIE, DARKMAN, DIE were released in 1995 and 1996 respectively. The role of Dr. Peyton Westlake / Darkman in the sequels was played by Arnold Vosloo.



                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment